Last updated on November 12th, 2018
What is a computer network?
A network could be a cluster of computer systems and different computing hardware devices that are coupled along through communication channels to facilitate communication and resource-sharing among a good vary of users. Networks are usually classified based on their characteristics.
In computer networks, the data is exchanged with each other using connections between nodes. These connections or data links are established over cable media like optical fiber cables, wires, or wireless media.
Why do we need computer networks?
If a business has more than a computer, the likelihood is that you’ll get pleasure from networking them. A local area network (LAN) connects your company’s computers, permitting them to exchange and shares a range of data. Whereas one computer is often helpful on its own, many networked computers will be far more helpful.
Here are a number of the ways in which a network will facilitate your business:
- File Sharing: A network makes it simple for everybody to access identical file and prevents individuals from accidentally making completely different
- Printer Sharing: If you utilize a pc, the likelihood is that you furthermore may use a printer. With a network, many computers will share an identical printer. Though you would possibly want a costlier printer to handle the additional work, it’s still cheaper to use a network printer than to attach a separate printer to each pc in your workplace.
- Communication and Collaboration: It’s laborious for individuals to figure along if nobody is aware of what anyone else is doing. A network permits staff to share files, read alternative people’s work, and exchange ideas a lot of expeditiously. In a larger workplace, you’ll be able to use e-mail and instant electronic messaging tools to communicate quickly and to store messages for future reference.
- Data Protection: You ought to understand by currently that it’s important to copy and secure your computer data often. A network makes it easier to copy all of your company’s data on an associate offsite server, a group of tapes, CDs, or alternative backup systems.
Networks are used to:
- Smoother communication via e-mail, messaging, video conferencing, etc.
- Enable users to share one hardware device.
- Helps to share the files across the network.
- Allow for the sharing of a software system or operative programs on remote systems.
- Make data easier to maintain & access among the network.
Types of computer networks:
- Local Area Networks (LAN)
- Metropolitan Area Networks (MAN)
- Wide Area Networks (WAN)
- Home Area Networks (HAN)
- Personal Area Networks (PAN)
- Backbone Networks (BBN)
- The internet is that the largest network within the world that connects countless of individuals.
- Ability to share the files, Communication, Resource sharing, Flexible access.